“Is Mr Darcy expecting us?” The approach to Henlow, along a field-lined driveway to imposing gates and a fountain in front of a large manor house, is probably more than pregnancy heart rates should allow. The elegantly furnished garden-view room (some are in the new block, so ask for old house availability when you book), plush bedspreads and Georgian bathroom all make for a very exciting beginning to the stay.
If you go with your mates they’ll love the steam room and sauna, while you can have a proper swim in the decent-sized swimming pool. There are plenty of classes, from rebounding (exercises on a mini trampoline) to aqua aerobics (a mum-to-be favourite), and yoga. Champneys is pretty spacious, so there’s some walking around to be done.
Choose from Champney’s own treatments or some Elemis ones. The pregnancy massage is on your back and side, so every inch of your body gets a bit of pampering. Body scrubs, facials, manis and pedis are all on offer, as well as reflexology – another pregnancy favourite. Therapists are open to your needs and will ask which areas to work on, and how you prefer to sit or lie – essential when you’re in the later stages of pregnancy.
Magic mummy moment
Lying back on a floral bedspread, walking down the winding staircase or lunching overlooking the pool, this is the place for mums who want to step back in time and feel pampered and romanced. It’s a real getaway where grandeur is the word of the day.
- Price – Day packages from £79 and overnight packages from £159.
- Treatment – Pregnancy massage is £55 for 55 mins, pedicure is £40 for 55 mins and a bikini wax is £19.
- Location – Champneys, Henlow, Bedfordshire, SG16 6DB
- Telephone – 0843 3162222
- Web – champneys.com/henlow
- Getting there – for satnavs use postcode SG16 6BT as well as the street name ‘Coach Road’. The nearest train station is Arlesey, a 5-minute drive away. Trains to Hitchin are more frequent, just 10 mins away.