Makes 6 portions
Takes 25 minutes
• 400g (14oz) basmati and wild rice
• a little olive oil, for sautéeing
• 1 large onion, finely sliced
• ½ tsp turmeric
• 250g (9oz) hot-smoked fish (such as mackerel or kipper)
• 50g (2oz) butter
• 150ml (¼pt) double cream
• salt and pepper, to season
• 3 eggs, hard boiled, quartered
• 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
1. Cook the rice in salted boiling water. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion until soft, then stir in the turmeric and sauté for 2-3 minutes more.
2. Drain the rice and add to the pan with the onion. Cook over a low heat, stirring until the rice has turned a yellow colour.
3. Break the fish into chunky pieces as you stir it into the rice, and reheat thoroughly for 5 minutes. Then stir in the butter and cream. Season, top with the eggs and garnish with parsley.