From the bigger baby goods such as buggies, car seats and cots, to the smaller items, like nappies and cotton wool, there’s plenty you need to buy before your baby is born. It can seem a little odd buying a whole lot of stuff for a baby you’ve yet to meet, but that’s exactly what you need to do when you’re pregnant!
For the bigger items, such as nursery furniture, think about shopping in your second trimester. You’ll have more energy and a more manageable bump size than when you are in your third trimester.
The smaller baby products, like cot bedding and nappies, you can leave until later in your pregnancy – these are easier to carry, and don’t require as much research or legwork.
There’s a lot to think about and budget for, so take the stress and guesswork out of buying for your baby by following our shopping list for essential baby buys. You can also download and print off a version of this baby essentials shopping list to take with you.
Baby essentials to buy in pregnancy
- Moses basket or crib OR cot or cotbed
- New mattress
- Baby monitor
- 2-4 fitted sheets
- 2-4 top sheets and 2-3 blankets OR 1-2 baby sleeping bags
Nappy changing and bathing:
- Nappies, newborn size, either disposable or reusable
- Nappy cream (from 2 weeks)
- Cotton wool
- Nappy bags/sacks
- 3 nursing bras
- Breast pads
- Nipple cream
- Muslin squares/wraps, for discrete public feeding and burping
- 6 feeding bottles
- 6 teats, slow flow
- Infant formula, if you’re not expressing
- Muslin squares/wraps, for burping
- 5-7 sleepsuits
- 5-7 sleeveless or short-sleeve bodysuits or vests
- 5-7 long-sleeve bodysuits
- 5-7 newborn bibs
- 3 pairs socks
- 3 pairs baggies/booties
- 2-3 pairs scratch mitts
- 2-3 hats
- 2-3 cardigans
- Jacket with hood or pramsuit