What to do if your child gets an electric shock

Advice from the British Red Cross on what to do if your child gets an electric shock


If your child gets an electric shock:

  • If possible, turn off the power. If not, remove the source from your child with a non-conductive item, such as a wooden broom, and stand on dry insulation material such as a telephone directory
  • Tilt her head back and look and feel for breaths. If she’s breathing, roll her on her side, tilt her head back again and call 999
  • If she’s not breathing, call 999 then push in the middle of her chest and release (for under-ones use two fingers). Continue until help arrives.

For more information visit the British Red Cross site.

Comments ()

Please read our Chat guidelines.