Looking for an alternative to the traditional Jack O’Lantern Halloween pumpkin design? We’ve found one that’s incredible simple and easy to make – but ticks all the right scary-Mary boxes.
Here’s a simple step-by-step how-to guide to follow, put together by Claire Angel-Hamilton, one of the many amazing, super-crafty mums in our MadeForMums community…
Top tip: Even if you like to prep ahead, rein yourself in on the carving front until a day or so before. Once they’re chopped into, pumpkins tend to collapse in on themselves and go mouldy after just 2 or 3 days.
How to carve a ‘spooky jail’ Halloween pumpkin, step by step
You will need:
- Pumpkin (obvs)
A short-handled serrated knife, a sharp-pointed knife/tool and a scoop/large spoon. Alternatively, you can buy a pumpkin carving kit (you can get these in stores like Asda for as little as £1)
- A Sharpie pen
- Extra-long cocktail sticks
- Small Halloween toys, such as a skeleton or a ghost
- Tea light or battery operated tea light/fairy lights
1. Place your pumpkin on a hard surface and, either free-hand or with a stencil, draw a rectangle shape that is just slightly a little less tall than your cocktail sticks.
2. Draw a circle around the stalk on top of the pumpkin, ready for cutting.
3. Use a sharp-pointed knife or tool, or the piercing tool from a pumpkin carving kit, to pierce a hole at one point on the circle you’ve drawn around the pumpkin top.
Then, put your short-handled, serrated knife, or the carving tool from the kit, into the pierced hole and start to cut around the line.
Aim not to cut straight down but slightly angled towards the centre, creating a bowl-shaped hole (this can be a little tricky at first, so it’s best done by an adult or under strict adult supervision).
4. Once you’ve cut around the top, remove the lid and scoop out all the seeds and fibre with a spoon or the scoop from your kit. Then scoop out some (or all) of the flesh. You can use this to make our Spooky pumpkin soup.
5. Now, using the knife with a serrated edge, or the cutting tool from your kit, cut into your pumpkin where your ‘jail’ outline is marked with a gentle back-and-forth motion.
Cut around the ‘jail’ shape by drawing the knife back and forth and maintaining a steady downward pressure. For safety, always cut with the blade facing away from you.
6. Place your Halloween toys into the pumpkin and then push the cocktail sticks evenly into the pumpkin flesh on the top and bottom of your ‘jail’ opening to make a little prison.