Homemade chicken dippers and tomato sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- A little work
- Serves 4
- 100g Skinless chicken fillet, cut into thin strips
- 100g Breadcrumbs (2 slices crustless white bread)
- 1 Egg
- 2tbsp Plain flour, (you can season the flour of leave plain)
- ½ Red pepper, finely chopped
- ½ Onion, finely chopped
- ½tbsp Tomato purée
- 1tbsp Olive oil
- 1tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 250g Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 200g Tinned chopped tomatoes
- 150ml Water
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5.
- STEP 2
Pop the slices of bread in a blender and blend until you have fine breadcrumbs.
- STEP 3
Lightly beat the egg and place in a shallow bowl.
- STEP 4
Dip each chicken dipper in the flour, then the egg and finally cover in the breadcrumbs.
- STEP 5
Place on a lightly prepared baking tray.
- STEP 6
Bake for around 20 minutes– but make sure the dippers are cooked right through.
- STEP 7
Chop into small pieces that are manageable for your child.
- STEP 8
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions.
- STEP 9
Cook until soft (about 10 -15 minutes) on a medium heat.
- STEP 10
Add peppers and puree.
- STEP 11
Stir in chopped tomatoes and tinned tomatoes.
- STEP 12
Add 150ml water and the Balsamic vinegar.
- STEP 13
Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- STEP 14
Allow to cool and then blend to required consistency.