Vegetarian lentil cottage pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- A little work
- Serves 6
- 1tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion (optional), finely chopped
- 150g Courgette, finely chopped
- 1 Clove of garlic, crushed
- 400g Tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp Tomato purée
- 40g Frozen peas
- 1tbsp Fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 300ml Very low salt vegetable stock
- 250g Lentils, green or brown,, rinsed and drained
- 750g Potato, peeled and chopped
- 30g Unsalted butter
- 100ml Milk
- 75g Cheddar cheese, grated
- STEP 1
Preheat the oven to 200°C/ fan 180°C/ gas mark 6.
- STEP 2
In a large pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and cook the onion for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the carrot, courgette and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- STEP 3
Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, peas, thyme, stock and lentils.
- STEP 4
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, then simmer gently for 40 minutes until the lentils are soft. Top up with water if the mixture dries out. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- STEP 5
Spread over the lentil mixture and run a fork over the top of the mash to make ridges. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbling and golden.