1) If there’s a history of allergies, introduce tricky foods one at a time and watch for reactions.
2) Don’t try to diagnose an allergy yourself by restricting your tot’s diet, speak to your GP first.
3) If you’re breastfeeding, try to continue while weaning, as it may reduce the risk of allergies developing as new foods are introduced.
4) If your baby has cow’s milk protein allergy (CMPA), try using a hypoallergenic formula for cooking instead.
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Nut allergies: the facts you need to know
- Spotting the symptoms of a food allergy
5) Read food labels carefully. As well as looking out for a particular food, you’ll need to know about its alternative names.