Preparation time: 5 minutes, plus at least two hours’ soaking
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Makes 2 portions
Not suitable for freezing
•4 tbsp rolled oats
• 2 tbsp raisins
• 6 tbsp milk
• 1 small eating apple, peeled, cored and chopped
• 1 small ripe pear, peeled, cored and chopped
• 2 tbsp water or apple juice
1. Soak the oats and raisins in milk overnight or for a couple of hours.
2. Meanwhile, cook the apple and pear in water (or juice) for 8-10 minutes over a low heat. Remove from heat and mash with a fork.
3. In the morning, stir the apple and pear into the oats and raisins. (For little babies, purée first.)
• To make apricot and pear fruity breakfast muesli, leave out the raisins and apple and add 4 finely chopped dried apricots to the oats to soak overnight. Then in the morning add 2 ripe mashed pears and 2tsp vanilla yogurt.
• For banana and maple syrup muesli, use slightly less milk to soak the oats overnight. In the morning, add a mashed banana, along with one or two tablespoons of vanilla yogurt and a teaspoon of maple syrup.
For more on nutrition and for Annabel Karmel’s recipes, log on to www.annabelkarmel.com