Whether you are expecting twins, or your next baby is due before your first is able to walk longer distances, for many parents, a twin or double pushchair is a must-have. But which style to choose?
Before you buy, here’s what to consider:
- Generous hood – to shade from the sun and useful in light showers too
- Comfortable handles – some have breaks on the handlebar for ease
- Large, roomy basket for shopping
- Swivel wheels with option of lock on rough terrain
- Multi-position seat recline and secure yet comfy harness
Consumer Editor, Alison Alexander’s tips:
- Are you adding a carrycot or car seat?
- Do you want to buy a single pushchair that converts to a double later on?
- How big is your car boot?
- If you’re having an elective Caesarean, will you be able to lift, fold and store the pushchair?
- How much storage space do you have at home?
- Do you go off road regularly or occasionally?
- How wide is the access to your home – are there steps and/or doorways to negotiate?Side by side or tandem?
These are the two main double designs, where your children either sit alongside one another (side by side), or one in front, one behind (tandem). Both have advantages and disadvantages. Side-by-side designs tend to be lighter, slightly easier to fold and store but less durable. Tandem designs are more robust and manageable, but also heavier to push and bulky to fold and store. As a general rule, side by side may work better for twins, while a tandem design suits a toddler/baby combo, but try both styles out in the shop and decide which style suits your car boot, build and budget!
As more and more British parents-to-be undergo IVF treatment, the incidence of multiple births has risen. There are now more than 10,000 multiple births in the UK each year. Becoming pregnant with twins has an increased possibility under IVF, because several eggs can be fertilised and implanted to maximise the chances of success. The support group Tamba (Twins & Multiple Births Association) can help. Get in touch for advice on all the kit and equipment you’ll need, as well as support on emotional and relationship issues. For further information, visit tamba.org.uk.
Double Buggy Reviews
We’ve reviewed eight top models to help you find one that suits your family – and budget! Click here to see our guide now…
Double Buggy featured, Phil & Teds Verve 4WD, £599, philandteds.com