Annabel Karmel's muffin pizza with hidden vegetable sauce
- 1 large shallot (or 1 small onion) finely chopped
- 1/2 small leek, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/4 courgette, grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1tbsp sundried tomato puree
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp caster sugar
- salt and pepper (for babies over 1 year old)
- 4 english muffins, split in half
- 110g cheddar or mozzarella cheese, grated
1. Put the vegetables in a saucepan with the oil and saute for 8 to 10 minutes until they are soft. Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute, then transfer to a blender.
2. Add the purees, ketchup, tomatoes and sugar, and whizz until smooth. Return to the pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes until thick. Season to taste and allow to cool slightly.
3. Preheat the grill to high. Toast the bases of the muffin halves. Spread 1tbsp sauce on each cut surface. Decorate with grated cheese then grill for 2 to 3 minutes until bubbling. cool slightly before serving.